08 February 2013

An Update On Me #1

The last 3 - 4 weeks have been quite hectic for me. I am still trying to adjust to having less free time in my life since doing this writing course and having to do homework. I have not written any poetry for a while and feel quite loss since being unable to write down my thinking onto paper or typed onto screen. Especially after an emotionally draining week that has left mentally tired and wanting to sit down and don't get up.One morning I had felt like a time bomb counting down the seconds. I kept thinking about writing a poem called "I am about to explode!" But I did not even have my notebook and pen to jot down a few words.


The writing course - it has been great learning about the theory of writing and understanding how to structure the ideas and the elements to think about when setting a scene, description, conversation and so forth. All very interesting maybe I might think about continuing the study afterwards. The other day I was thinking about the different parts that make up me and the paths I would like to follow regarding my writing. For instance I feel that I am a poet, a spoken word artist, a wannabe novelist.These 3 labels can be broken down further for instance I have loads of children book ideas floating in my head. As well as those for teenagers and poem collections. It just seems so overwhelming at times. And I do wonder how do I have the space within to be all three. Currently my heart aches for just one day a week where I can just write and be. I feel that I need to plan and organise whilst step out in faith. I am sure that time will be created if I just continue to do what I should be doing. I call it "just plodding on"... Doing what you need to be do. And when in the plodding state you can feel as rough as anything and not in the mood for rubbish.. but you just keep on plodding no matter what...

February already feels like a strange month for me. I guess the highs of the new year have faded away and now the real challenge begins. It is also strange as my focus has shifted slightly, actually quite a bit from my poetry. This month I was meant to complete x amount of poems, upload another video on you tube and perform at an open mic session. Has not happened yet. I have started to write down monthly goals and I need to remember that February is not over yet. There is still time. I was reminded the other day that I need to start thinking about 2 year and 5 year plans - of how to reach my dreams that have been birthed since the womb...

No comments:

Post a Comment